This is a collection of digital images, mostly taken from yearlogs assembled by students at the School of Library and Information Studies (formerly the Wisconsin Library School) to document the highlights of their activities.
The earliest yearlog dates from the first class to graduate in 1907.
The images in this collection have been selected, scanned, organized, and made available to public as part of a class project (Course LIS 879: Digital Libraries, taught by Professor Kim). The contributing students include: 2004 Digital Library Classes, 2005 Digital Library Classes, and 2006 Digital Library Classes.
History of the School of Library and Information Studies
The groundwork for the School of Library and Information Studies was laid in 1895 with the establishment of summer sessions in the field of library science in conjunction with the University Summer School at Madison — making Madison the home of one of the oldest and longest running library school programs in the nation.
The summer sessions were made possible through donations from J.H. Stout, a well known supporter and innovator of traveling libraries, and were seen as a form of library training for individuals who could not attend schools with longer terms. Classes were held in University classrooms as well as at the State Historical Society and were in session for six weeks. The Wisconsin Free Library Commission was instrumental in the success of these early classes.
In 1906 the summer sessions changed to a yearlong program when the Free Library Commission created the Wisconsin Library School, which gained appropriation funds through an act of the Wisconsin Legislature in 1905, making it the ninth library school in the country.
The Library School was housed on the second floor of the Madison Free Library, which was supported in part by funds from Andrew Carnegie. The Carnegie gift allowed for the building to have the Free Library on the first floor and the Library School on the second floor.
Through the 1930s, the Wisconsin Library School created and maintained close ties with the University of Wisconsin. In 1938 the Library School became officially part of the University. Read more about the History of the School of Library and Information Sciences (PDF, 11 pages, 192 KB).
Contact Kyung-Sun "Sunny" Kim, Associate Professor, School of Library and Information Studies.