Linden was originally called “Peddler’s Creek” after Patrick O’Meara, an Irish peddler who made the first discovery of lead in the immediate area in 1827. The name was changed in 1855 when the federal government refused to accept the original name for a post office. According to the History of Iowa County, 1881, “Subsequent to 1856, the mines being worked vigorously, Linden attracted a number of business men, representing all classes of trade, and the population also gradually increased as its importance became more determined, until now it is a thriving little village of 275 souls.”
Source: History of Iowa County, 1881. Scan of a print made from a glass plate negative, from a collection found in Mineral Point and presumed to depict local scenes from 1880-1910.
Streets; Carriages & coaches;
Mineral Point Historical Society
Glass Plate Negative Collection
Copyright and Use Statement
Copyright to this resource is held by the Mineral Point Historical Society and is provided here for educational purposes only. Commercial use or distribution of the image or content is not permitted without prior permission of the Mineral Point Historical