A wooden Indian advertises the wares of this tobacco and cigar store on High Street. The building was constructed in 1861 by Jacob Schneberger to replace one destroyed by fire in 1860. The Schneberger boot and shoe store was at this location until 1885. Mineral Point Tribune, Oct 15, 1861 (ad dated April 15, 1861): "New Boot and Shoe Shop. The subscriber would respectfully announce to the citizens of Mineral Point and the surrounding Country that he has opened a Shop in the City of Mineral Point, next door to the Iowa County Bank, on High Street, (directly across from the Tribune office)for the manufacture of Boots and Shoes And that he is prepared to make to order every variety of Gents fine or Coarse Boots & Shoes, Ladies Gaiters, Shoes & Slippers, Childrens Shoes, &c &c He will use none but the best quality of Leather, and his work may be relied upon as equal to any in the Country. Prices Moderate. Leather of the best quality kept at all times for sale at the lowest figure. Please call and examine work and prices. Jacob Schneberger." This building is included in the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory under record number 59706. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/ahi/
Stone buildings; Architectural elements; Cigar store Indians;
Businesses; Stone buildings; Vernacular Architecture;
High Street Buildings; Mineral Point Businesses;
Mineral Point Historical Society;
Glass Plate Negative Collection;
Copyright and Use Statement
Copyright to this resource is held by the Mineral Point Historical Society and is provided here for educational purposes only. Commercial use or distribution of the image or content is not permitted without prior permission of the Mineral Point Historical Society. Please contact the Mineral Point Historical Society at MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org for permission to use the digital image or content.