The Reed - Bennett buiding was constructed in 1841. Iowa County Democrat, Feb. 12, 1942 " . . . this building has housed many types of businesses. The stage coach company operating between Mineral Point and Arena used the second floor of the building as an office and the east side lower floor was used for saloon purposes for a number of years. It was here that John Jeuck had a saloon and the most beautiful beer garden in this part of the country. After he moved his saloon to the Kieffer building, Fred Gillman opened a harness shop here which remained at this location until about 1898.At this time a group of prominent Mineral Point women, the sponsors and organizers of the first library, rented this building for their new location. They remained here until 1915 when the library was moved to more suitable quarters, the Municipal building." This building is included in the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory under record number 59720. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/ahi/
Saddlery; Brickwork; Architectural elements;
Businesses; Vernacular Architecture;
High Street Buildings; Mineral Point Businesses;
Mineral Point Historical Society;
Glass Plate Negative Collection;
Copyright and Use Statement
Copyright to this resource is held by the Mineral Point Historical Society and is provided here for educational purposes only. Commercial use or distribution of the image or content is not permitted without prior permission of the Mineral Point Historical Society. Please contact the Mineral Point Historical Society at MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org for permission to use the digital image or content.