The tin front with starburst design was added to this building in 1892, by Charles Hendra. The underlying building has been on the site since 1868. Mineral Point Weekly Tribune, Oct. 19, 1860: "New Boot and Shoe Store. Mr. T. J. Otis has opened a Boot and Shoe Store in his building next door to Pulford’s Drug Store, where he is prepared to make to order, from the best of stock, all sizes and varieties of Boots and shoes, to suit customers. Now is the season for laying in for the Winter supply of those articles, and we are assured that Mr. Otis can supply them on terms satisfactory to all. See Advertisement in another column." Mineral Point Tribune, April 29, 1868: "Mssrs. Hendra & Vincent have commenced the east wall for a fine two story stone or brick building, on the lot on which the frame house occupied by Kennedy’s Furnishing Store stands – the old building to be removed." Iowa County Democrat, May 20, 1892: "Four new plate glass fronts have been added to High street, Mineral Point, this week. Hendra Bros. have an entire new front of plate glass and iron, for their building." Iowa County Democrat, Oct. 14, 1892: 'Hendra Bro.’s double store building presents a fine appearance since the new front has been painted. The double store is large and commodious." This building is included in the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory under record number 27622. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/ahi/
Copyright to this resource is held by the Mineral Point Historical Society and is provided here for educational purposes only. Commercial use or distribution of the image or content is not permitted without prior permission of the Mineral Point Historical Society. Please contact the Mineral Point Historical Society at MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org for permission to use the digital image or content.