Built by James Brewer in the 1850's, with an addition in 1866, this house combines the formal Italianate style and the French Second Empire style. Brewer and his thirteen year old nephew, another James Brewer, came to SW Wisconsin from Cornwall in 1850. The elder Brewer, except for a trip to the gold fields of California, farmed in the area until 1865, when he moved to Mineral Point. The younger Brewer was a partner in firm of Brewer and Penhallegon from 1881 until about 1906. Sources: Historic Mineral Point Architectural Driving Tour: Mineral Point Chamber of Commerce; Architectural Survey; Memoirs of Iowa County
Italianate Architecture; French Second Empire Architecture
Mineral Point Residences;
Mineral Point Historical Society
Glass Plate Negative Collection
Copyright and Use Statement
Copyright to this resource is held by the Mineral Point Historical Society and is provided here for educational purposes only. Commercial use or distribution of the image or content is not permitted without prior permission of the Mineral Point Historical Society. Please contact the Mineral Point Historical Society at MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org for permission to use the digital image or content.