Designed in the commercial vernacular style, this two story stone retail building was constructed in 1860 by Dr. James B. Moffett, who used the eastern half for his office and pharmacy. J.J. Hanscom was the proprietor of a Mineral Point bookstore from about 1881 until 1900. According to placards and signs visible in this photo, Hanscom was also an agent for the United States Express Company, the store was the location of the public telephone station, and the Delineator, "A Journal of Fashion, Culture, and Fine Arts", was available for sale here. Sources: Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory; History of Iowa County, 1881. This building is included in the Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory under record number 71458. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/ahi/
Copyright to this resource is held by the Mineral Point Historical Society and is provided here for educational purposes only. Commercial use or distribution of the image or content is not permitted without prior permission of the Mineral Point Historical Society. Please contact the Mineral Point Historical Society at MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org for permission to use the digital image or content.