Davis Street - 216 - St Mary's School under construction
Date of Original
In 1870, a second Catholic church was established in Mineral Point when the German members of St Paul's formed St Mary's parish. They built a frame church and rectory in 1870 and a frame school building in 1871. In 1901, the frame church was replaced by the Romanesque Revival brick building visible in this image. In 1904, local contractors Herman Enzenroth and the Ellery brothers constructed a two story red brick vernacular replacement for the frame school, to "correspond with the church". The construction of the brick school is shown in this image, with the lower floor near completion. Sources: "Mineral Point, A History" by George Fiedler; Architectural and Historical Intensive Survey Report 1991-1992, prepared by Architectural Researches, Inc.
Church & education; Church schools; Churches; Progress photographs
Copyright to this resource is held by the Mineral Point Historical Society and is provided here for educational purposes only. Commercial use or distribution of the image or content is not permitted without prior permission of the Mineral Point Historical Society. Please contact the Mineral Point Historical Society at MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org for permission to use the digital image or content.